The laboratory can cater more than 50 students of B. Tech / M. Tech and Ph.D. programs. The electrical machines in the laboratory are equipped with the capability to directly measure various performance quantities such as torque, efficiency, etc. Further, for direct measurement of the performance parameters, various modern equipment like digital meters, torque sensors, speed encoders, etc. are employed in the workbenches. The laboratory has desktop computer workstations for running finite element simulation software like MagNet / Maxwell / Flux. This enables the students to have a virtual experience of designing and fabricating various electrical machines through custom-designed lab experiments. Moreover, this facility also helps the post-graduate and Ph.D. students in the field of electrical machines to design and validate their sophisticated electrical machines.
The equipment and infrastructure allows the UG and PG students to be exposed to state-of-the-art laboratory facilities. Availability of sophisticated instruments facilitates incorporating challenging and thought-provoking lab experiments and projects. This helps the students to have a better understanding of the fundamentals whilst coping up with the modern day trends/analysis techniques on electrical machines.
Facilities for conducting following experiments are available:
1. Polarity Test in a Single Phase Transformer
2. Open Circuit Test and Short Circuit Test in a Single Phase Transformer
3. Load Test and correspondingly determine the Efficiency and Voltage Regulation in a Single Phase Transformer
4. No-load, blocked rotor test and speed-torque characteristics of a Three Phase Induction Motor
5. Synchronization of two three phase Alternators including study and analysis of V- Curve and inverse V-Curve of Synchronous Motor
6. Cut Sections of DC Shunt, 3-phase AC Squirrel Cage or Slip-Ring Induction Machine, 3-phase synchronous machine
7. Finite element simulations on computers for understanding armature reaction in dc- machines, observing flux plots of various types of windings and machines, rotating magnetic field, C-core with coil, C-core with magnet, etc.
The following are the important equipment available in the laboratory in addition to the machines workbenches.
- 2-channel, 100 MHz DSO
- 4-channel, 200 MHz DSO
- Voltage and current probes
- Digital Multimeters
- Altair Flux 3D and 2D FEM software licences
- Resistive, capacitive and inductive load banks