|Course Code||ME 232|
|Course Name||Mechanical Measurements and Metrology Lab|
|Reference||1. R. K. Jain, ‘Engineering Metrology’, Khanna Publishers, 1999.
2. J. F. W. Gayler and C.R. Shotbolt, ‘Metrology for Engineers’ Cassel London, 1964.
3. K. J. Hume, ‘Engineering Metrology’ MC Donald London, 1963.
4. G. G. Thomas, ‘Engineering Metrology’, Butterworth’s, 1974.
5. S. P. Venkateshan, ‘Mechanical Measurements’, Ane Books, 2015.
|Description||1. Introduction: Generalized measurement system, Zero, first and second order measurement systems, static and dynamic calibration, random errors, uncertainty analysis and error propagation.
2. Introduction to various mechanical measurement devices, their static and dynamic characteristics, calibration experiments
a. Temperature measurement
b. Pressure measurement
c. Flow measurement
d. Strain/ force measurement
e. Measurement of motion
3. Sampling and data acquisition: Sampling concepts, data acquisition systems and components, signal conditioning, amplifiers, filters. 4. Metrology:
a. Measurement of lengths and angles (Hand and Precision Instruments).
b. Limits and Fits.
c. Geometric Tolerances for form, position and location.
d. Design of special purpose inspection gages/comparators.
e. Inspection of complex shapes like screw threads, worms and gears.
f. Surface finish and its measurement.
g. Introduction to Modern Techniques of inspection based on the above topics.